I initially saw this as a chain letter from a friend. But it struck me that it has inherent value when you add the ‘why’ of each book. How did it influence me. What have you loved to read and how did it influence you?
1. Secret Diary of Adrian mole aged 13 3/4 – Sue Townsend
Inspired me to start a diary in 1990 which I’ve never stopped.
2. The Art of War – Sun Tzu
Is a fascinating perspective on human conflict and ‘taking whole’. It’s much much more than a ‘handbook for conflict’. I feel it helps me better understand humanity and our interconnectedness with each other an the world.
3. Snow crash – Neal Stephenson
4. Cuckoos egg – Cliff Stoll
3&4 are in no small part why I work in hi-tech.
5. The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho.
A beautiful metaphor for interconnectedness.
6. The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien
Opened my mind up to all the fiction could be.
7. Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
Resonated with me as a child and inspired me to work hard in life
8. Consider Phelbas – Ian M Banks
Fueled my love for Sci-Fi and influenced my own writing.
9. The Elegant Universe – Graeme Greene
Research for my 2nd novel, and my love of astrophysics and quantum mechanics (what, you didn’t know that about me?)
10. Thought as a System – David Bohm
Research for my 2nd novel and ended up profoundly affecting how I viewed the world, people, thought and the interconnectedness of our own minds with the fabric of space time.